Disney Sunset

Disney Sunset
Disney Sunset

23.5.11

Journal 16.7.2010

Strengthened by Grace

Hebrews 13:9
Do not be led away by diverse ad strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited those devoted to them.

The writer of the Hebrews was emphasizing to the people to not buy what others advocate especially about getting life right by relying on works, material and other things besides the grace of God. Many people sought deliverance and redemption by sacrificing food to idols and thought that these foods will strengthen them and bring them peace. It is grace alone and not other things that gives us the strength we need to go through life on earth.

Food may strengthen my body, rest may add to it. But they don't strengthen my heart nor feed my soul. It is grace that has given me the strength needed to overcome and be in peace. In my struggles with insecurity, anxiety, sin, loneliness, fears, financial difficulties, it wasn't food or self-help books or Oprah that strengthen me to overcome. It was the grace of God revealed in the truths of God and His love.

God's grace works like an energy booster, a supernatural force that propels me beyond what I could be achieved in my own strength or in my reliance on food or other things. God's love and grace is like that fluid you add to your car fuel that supposedly makes your car run faster/more powerful.

When I struggle, knowing that God loves me, never leaves me, and other truths if God - grace - gives me the strength I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment