Disney Sunset

Disney Sunset
Disney Sunset

5.8.06

Matthew 18:3-4
Jesus said,"...I tell you the truth, unles you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of God. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

We know that it is important to be childlike in our lives, not childish. Being childish means persistence in remaining in self-indulgence, to insist on enjoying privileges without responsibilities. You can definitely see this anyday. Just look at how a child insists on his parents buying him a toy without second thoughts about his responsibilities and throwing a trantum when he doesn't get what he wants.

Many times, we adults act childishly whether you admit it or not. We abhor losing control in our lives and so we hold on to our plans and whatever we have tightly because we hate the feeling of losing control. But seriously, let me ask you a question: What is so bad about losing control?

The passage from Matthew above shows clearly how many adults, like myself, forget how to trust God more readily. We also unlearn on being humble. Spending last Monday night together with my 4 year old cousin reminded me of this.

Me, my cousin and Teng Yung, together with my family, went out for dinner. My cousin followed me and Teng Yung in Teng Yung's car. She was so afraid of Teng Yung because he was a stranger, and she was so shy around him. But with me, it was like she knew I was her friend since the day she was born and she liked hanging out with me very much.

The moment we got down from his car, my cousin held my hand as we walked towards the restaurant. Teng Yung was walking on the other side of her. And then I just said to my cousin, "Why don't you hold Ko-Ko's hand?"

She looked at me, and then stretched out her left hand to be held by Teng Yung, without complaining, or arguing, or hesitation. I was surprised. She was already holding my hand on the other side, and she did not even dare go near Teng Yung for the past 2 days!

Her act showed me the kind of childlikeness that we should possess as children of God. My cousin seemed to recognise and trust me more readily without rationalising away her need for love and care. She just understands deeply, and simply, that she needs love from me. This was obviously not taught to her. It is in her since the day God created her, because He created us in His image (Genesis 1:27) i.e. God is love (1 John 4:8).

So if you find yourself too uptight about life, or that you seemed to be getting nowhere, take a break. Get low, be humble, and be childlike, and, like how my cousin trusted me, trust in God.

God bless!

1 comment: