Disney Sunset

Disney Sunset
Disney Sunset

17.8.09

Small Matters.

Why would writers of both the Old and New Testaments make it a point to write about how God cares about the tiny things in life that we think are small and not important?

Lets take a peek at just one example from each Testament:

Exodus 25 - 28
Just look at how detailed God wanted the glorious Tabernacle (and everything that has got to do with it) to be. When I first read this book, I was astonished at so many small things which God commanded the Israelites to do. Was all that really necessary?

Matthew 10:30, Luke 12:7
The very hairs on my head are numbered!
Seriously, as long as there are hairs on my head, I don't really care what's the number...though the thickness does :P

We live our lives going through the ups and downs, focusing mostly on the big-important matters because they are simply big and 'important'. Some of us have actually forgotten about the small matters altogether, and dismissed them as unnecessary, and need no attention at all.

However, things which are small don't mean that they are not important. Just like how a stranger smiled at me this morning while I was walking along the corridor at the court complex, and that smile maybe small, but it made a difference! Things like saying thank you to anyone who helped in anyway at all, sharing an umbrella with someone who's stuck in the rain and helping someone pick up books that fell to the ground are small, but they do matter.

I became so disgruntled after giving someone a lift home last night because that person didn't ask me how I was doing and didn't say thank you when getting off my car, simply slammed the door and left. It was a very very silent drive too (minus the conversations I made to know how that person's life is lately). Although I didn't express how I felt, I had to stop and think, "Why did I react that way? It's really small...but it affected me so much."...I was glad that now I know how it's like to be a chauffeur.

Last week, I got scolding from two strangers, on two different days, at two different locations, for really small reasons (one of it wasn't even my fault). I had to get to somewhere isolated and cool down so that I didn't burst out in anger in front of them. Honestly, they are really small matters, but they affected me at a larger scale than the relative 'size' I gave them.

Well, the truth is: Small matters don't make them don't-matter's.

Now I know why God wants us to cast all our cares, whether big or small, unto Him, not just because He wants to take care of all our needs and help us through our concerns, but also because He knows that small things DO matter to our lives.

Just as He is a person who likes details and how small things matter to Him, we being created in His image, are the same. Without these small matters, sooner or later we'll lose the joy in living within a community, and lose our 'lives' because we have become mere robotic creatures that do only those things that seemingly matter more.

For me, yes big things do matter, but the small things are part and parcel of life, the ones that cling on to my journey in dealing with the big things. Small matters do matter.

God bless! ;)

1 comment:

  1. i like this that you pointed out! thank you. well said and SO TRUE.

    ReplyDelete